Thread: Hamburg filters

Hamburg filters

After hearing the speaker at the September DRAS meeting, I would like to give the Hamburg filter a try. But I don't know the speaker, and have no way to get in touch.

So, does anyone know how to contact the gentleman? Or, does anyone have all the details, including sourcing information?
    Rick - member DRAS and KWAS

Always serious, seldom somber

Re: Hamburg filters

The speakers name is Udo Rohmann but I can't find anything online in regards to specific details of the Hamburg filter.

Lots of stuff online about them but most sites are in German and thus no good to us or at least myself at this point.. Oh Klaus.. wanna translate a couple pages .. lol..

That aside, the main required hardware is reticulated foam (spelling may be wrong)

Other then that any powerhead will do or the parts for the lifts Udo was showing should be available at the local Rona/HomeDepot.

When I get a chance to cruise the stores I'll try and source some options for these as I'm thinking of swapping my cannisters over to a hybrid hamburg and possibly complete swap on some tanks..

...then let me know if you are getting rid of any Fluvals. Preferably 104/105 or 204/205's...

Thanks for the help, guys. Here is a great article in English on these filters:

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

It pretty much confirms everything Udo said. I still need to find a source for the reticulated foam (yup, you have the correct spelling, Ivan), and the nitty-gritty details on the air-lift for the water intrigued me. Is there any way to get in touch with Udo Rohmann?

Hi all,

Udo is a member of the Peel Regional Aquarium Society (Brampton)
    Check out this page for a phone number and a link to send email:
    Click on this http://peelaquariumclub.org/executive.html

Thanks Zenin. I did that and Udo has given me some sourcing information.

Is anyone else interested in setting up this type of filter? The reticulated foam seems quite costly because it must be purchased in quite a large sheet. The cost would be reasonable if shared.

Arty G

Swiss Tropicals (http://swisstropicals.com/) is I believe the only seller in North America of the foam used in these filters. Hans Discus is also selling his foam.

Rich
    CanadaPleco.com

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaPleco
    Swiss Tropicals (http://swisstropicals.com/) is I believe the only seller in North America of the foam used in these filters. Hans Discus is also selling his foam.

Rich
    CanadaPleco.com
    Thanks for the source info. I have enough for a single 20 long tank, enough for a first experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty G View Post
    Thanks for the source info. I have enough for a single 20 long tank, enough for a first experiment.
    So, how is the experiment going ?

Any photos ?

My experiment is working very well! for 3 years now
    I'm running 10-350 gallon tanks on these filters

If you need more info send me an email or refer to the article in Peel Regional Aquarium Club's Newsletter section December 2009

I can also do a presentation if you like! (or a building workshop)

Experiment with 20 long very successful. So much so that I blew $179 buying a sheet of foam (4 eet by 10 feet by 2 inches thick), enough for about 40 15 gallon tanks. $ 4.50 per tank is not so bad. Found some people near Kitchener who want to play as well.

Several new experiments in the works, but these filters really work well. Zero maintenance, and keep the stablished tank stable and safe. If you are still hooked on heavy, mechanical filtration, you can couple the Mattenfilter with cannisters. But the flow rate through the mat must be kept quite low, so it's best to use the cannister outside the mat.

Thumbs up Re: Hamburg filters

It is taking some time for this method of filtration to catch on on Canada. It's inexpensive, effective, adaptable.
    The more people talk about it the better. Nice to hear that is working for you! Mine have been running for 4 years now!

Quote Originally Posted by fishman2 View Post
    My experiment is working very well! for 3 years now
    I'm running 10-350 gallon tanks on these filters
    I would love to see the setup some time. I have 9 tanks running, but much smaller (largest is 65 gallons). my mats are going into 15 and 20 gallon tanks first. I will consider the larger tanks later.

Heh Fishman2,,, I would love to have a chance to see your setups and learn more about this method of filtration as i'm running about 20 tanks now and more coming.. I'll send you a PM later on...
    I Gost MTS in such a short time, Now have 20 tanks running with copa mlotos, 6 species of aulonoclara, jd's, goby, frontosa, red empress, several types of plecs etc.. what can i say, i'm hooked
    On PN = ncc0015
    GTAA = fish_luva
    MFK = love-my-fish
    cichlid-forum = love-my-fish
    fishlore = love-my-fish